Neobux

Monday, November 14, 2011

House wiring Part I : Introduction and Cost



Last Sunday, I planned to install a study lamp and also add a couple of wall power plug in my daughter’s room by myself. It’s already been 2 years since I did the house wiring but luckily I still have my unpublished and unfinished blog note left forgotten inside my old dying external hard disk. So, here the blog note (edited for current writing).





2 years ago, I moved to a new house. Like other new developed house, the developer provides only basic wiring without any electrical equipment such as ceiling fan and light. With only 2 fan point and only a few power point, the house need a lot of wiring.

To calculate the total damage if I hire an electrician to do the work, I asked 4 electricians to quote their price:

2009 price

Price
Note
Power Point
RM70 to RM80 per point.
(price for conceal wiring)
For each additional power point, need to add RM10 to RM15
Water Heater
RM120
Not includes water heater installation, just the wiring
Air-Cond
RM150

Normal lamp wiring
RM40
This is normal wiring where they just loop from another existing fan or lamp wiring. Add RM5 for light installation.
Ceiling Fan
RM40-RM50
Add RM15 for fan installation.
Fan hook cost RM5
Exhaust fan (kitchen)
RM70 with installation




Empty wall

From the quoted price, the total price for complete wiring of my single storey house will be almost RM2,000. This is the total price for several new power plugs, new fan and light points and also installing the electrical equipments. The price doesn't include electrical equipment.

So, with very tight budget I decided to do most of the wiring with a guide from a friendly electrician.

Above price list doesn't include down light point because I don't plan to install any. But from my survey, the price per point is around RM35 - RM50 not include hole drilling and fitting light. Mostly add RM5 to fit the light bulb.

Before we proceed, please note that:
  1. This is only for information purpose. I am not a certified electrician so seek your respected electrician for any electrical work. I done all the wiring with a guide from an electrician.
  2. I don't know the exact term for certain items, so I use which ever I think best suit based on my understanding.
  3. Please cut off the electricity at the Circuit Breaker (CB) in the Breaker Box before you do any wiring.
  4. This is only applicable for single phase not 3-phase wiring which I don't have any clue about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment